FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
4 large green tomatoes
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 tsp. salt plus little extra to sprinkle
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper or cayenne pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
1 tbsp. butter
* Slice tomatoes 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Discard ends. Will get about 4 good slices per tomato.
* Whisk buttermilk and eggs together in a medium sized bowl. Put flour on a plate.
Mix cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, peppers, on another plate.
* Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip into milk mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs
to completely coat. (can press breadcrumbs gently onto tomato)
Let rest on cooling rack while you prepare pan.
* In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil and add butter and heat to medium.
* Place tomatoes into heated oil, don't overcrowd, should not touch each other.
Cook for about 3minutes per side or until browned and look crispy
* Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
* Eat immediately. Will be crispy.
I like the buttermilk tang, you can use milk.
You can leave out the red pepper if you don't like the little kick of hotness.
Feel free to spice up with garlic powder, or onion powder.
Pretty good as an appetizer with white wine.
I don't think they do well leftover, so don't make alot.
Post a Comment